HOW TO PRENVENT A CIGUATERA POISONING? 
 
   

A toxic specimen cannot be distinguished from a nontoxic one, as CTXs are tasteless, odorless and colorless. Moreover, the methods of preparation of the fish (raw, cooked, salted, dried …) does not eliminate CTXs or make them less potent.   
However, it is possible to avoid and/or reduce the severity of a poisoning by applying a few  rules:  

 
 

Seek advices from the local fishermen. They have, most of the time, a very good knowledge of the fishing areas and species to avoid.

 
 

Consult our ciguatoxic risk map, which report toxic areas as well as toxic fish or ask the local health authority in charge of CP surveillance.

 
 

Avoid eating the head and viscera, where toxins are mostly concentrated.

 
   If any doubts, only eat a small amount of fish and space out the consumption of at risk fish.
 
   

 

 
   WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF POISONING?  
     
 

Consult a physician or a medical professional, as soon as the first symptoms occur.

 
 

Avoid consuming any marine products, animal proteins, alcohol, coffee, energy drinks and nuts (walnuts, peanuts ...), for several weeks, as consumption of certain type of food can trigger or worsen CP related symptoms.

 
 

In addition to the treatment prescribed by your physician, it is suggested to take a vitamin C, B1, B6 and B12 therapy until the symptoms resolve.

 
 

If your physician has not reported your case or if you did not consult any medical professional, please report your poisoning directly on our reporting system or to your local health authority.

 
 

Avoid breastfeeding for a month.

 
  Some situations such as, intense physical activity, passing under a stream of cold air, sun exposure, may also trigger CP related symptoms (itching, tingling…). Therefore, these situations must be avoided as much as possible.  
     

 

FaLang translation system by Faboba